The short answer is that External IDs are used when new database items are created in Siteglide during an import, to help preserve relationships between Items.
Whereas IDs are used to update existing Items in Siteglide, using the Import feature.
This Article will explain both properties in a bit more Detail.
An External ID should be a unique identification given to the Item in the old Platform, whether that was Adobe BC or another Platform.
In some cases, your original data may not have an ID. This can be an issue on certain import tools which require a mandatory External ID. In this case, you are free to invent External ID numbers.
Why bother importing this?
- When importing from BC Exporter, your data will have relationships e.g. between WebApp Items and Categories. Siteglide will use the External ID to find these relationships and re-map WebApp Items and Categories so that they are linked by the Items' new Siteglide IDs.
- Additionally, adding External IDs can be helpful for traceability in the future.
Some Import tools will require you to set an External ID, whereas others will generate one automatically if it is not provided.
The ID refers to the record's unique ID in your Siteglide Site.
If you import an Item into Siteglide without an ID, Siteglide will treat it as a new item to be created. It will be assigned a new unique ID automatically.
If you import an Item into Siteglide with an ID, Siteglide will expect there to already be a record with that ID in the database. It will look up the Item and set the Item's properties to the new values you imported. In this way, it's possible to use the export and import tools to update items in bulk.
- Migrations Overview
- Migration Method Checklist
- Migrations- Creating the Siteglide Site
- Static Site Import - How To Use
- Migrating Assets
- Migrating (Importing) WebApps
- Migrations - BC Blog Import
- Menu Builder Module
- Menus - Creating A Menu
- Menus - Editing Menu Items
- Troubleshooting Migrated Menu Layouts
- FAQ - How do I add a folder in Code Editor?
- Migrating Templates
- Headers - Create a Header
- Footers - Create a Footer
- Toolbox - Introduction
- Migrating Forms
- Migrating URL Redirects
- Migrating WebApp Layouts
- Migration Tools- BC to Siteglide Tag Conversion Table (A Work in Progress)
- How To Put A Site Live
- FAQ - What's the difference between an ID and an external ID?
- FAQ - My Page on BC had a URL ending in ".html". How can I make sure they find my new page without this file extension?
- FAQ - How do I claim my free BC Exporter Credits?